 General / 41601
Re: LEGO Developer's Guild
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 04:30:49 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Tim Courtney writes:

Although a coding guild is really outside my scope (until I start learning
PHP and MySQL, which I really hope is relatively soon), I think it would
benefit the community greatly. I've spent quite a bit of time talking to
friends about how to increase interactivity between resources in the
community. My thoughts in that area (which some of them you're familiar
with) have taken several different forms.

I think a coding guild would/could/should give way to a more open exchange
between people who maintain some of the key community resources. From there,
ideas can flow on how to make sites work with each other better, sharing
data and content, and thus resulting in a better online LEGO experience for
everyone.

So in essence, what about a guild not just for developing applications, but
for developing the community? I know until now, individual webmasters talk
to each other privately -- I know Steve in his LDraw parts library admin
role talks to Peeron, who talks to Bricklink, etc. There hasn't been a forum
that I know of where community sites are encouraged to talk openly about how
they would like to integrate with other resources. I think we could all
benefit from something like that.

Maybe these are two different ideas, maybe they're not. Your idea of a
developer guild got me thinking though. :-)

I can certainly see some value in what you are talking about. It's a very
intriguing idea. I would see it as either:

- A separate task from the Developer's Guild... gotta keep focused

or

- A natural side effect of the Developer's Guild

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Jake

---
Jake McKee