 Publishing / 4103
Re: LEGO Developer's Guild
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 03:01:33 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Jake McKee writes:

Hi Jake,

I was trying to catch up on the weeks posts, and stumbled across this one.
I think that you have a good idea. I know that I have found my self in the
same situation at work and home, where I have a good Idea and I know it is
possible to do, I just don't have the time to dive into a new technology
(Although it is VERY tempting sometimes).

I think that thsi could also be a good learning experience, in that, I have
heard of products such as cold fusion, but I would neve have the oppertunity
to use it at my work. I think that if such a guild existed, that It would
give fellow AFOLs a chance to ask the guild generap (or advance) programming
questions, (to a newsgroup) and the guild could give that individual ideas
on how to best sole their problem.

Jeff VW
Java, JSP, JavaScript, HTML, XML, Visual Basic, Oracle, PLSQL, and some unix
shell scripting...

(I'm not sure if I have posted to the right group, or if I should have
included other groups. Any ideas?)

All,

After a recent conversation over lunch with Sean Kenney, I started
thinking... there is a lot of programming/coding talent in the LEGO
Community. There are tons of people who know some amount of ASP, Java,
Coldfusion, PHP, C++, VisualBasic, etc.

If you all are anything like me, I am constantly coming up with ideas that
are beyond my novice coding abilities. Or come across things I would like to
add to the B.I. Portal, but I'm not sure where to start.

Wouldn't it be great if we had some sort of "network of knowledge"; a LEGO
Developer's Guild, so to speak, of people who would be willing to help out
on certain coding projects.

The great thing about having a "Guild" is that you would have to pass
certain requirements to join, which means that there would be some level of
trust involved. This means that I wouldn't have to just pass, for instance,
the codebase for the B.I. Portal and FTP info to somone I don't know and
don't understand how good their coding is. Rather, I would work with a
"certified" coder in ColdFusion.

In theory, this would allow us to all help each other make bigger and better
Web/software projects. I know that between work, life, LEGO building, and
other stuff, I can sometimes get tired of working on the B.I. Portal. It
worries me that the progress or stability of the site might be compromised
because of this.

What do you all think about this concept? Do you have other ideas for ways
to address this?

Jake

---
Jake McKee