 General / 41507
Re: Need European Help: Sizes of LEGO manuals & catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:46:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, William R. Ward writes:

In the USA paper is measured in inches.  Our standard paper sizes are
8.5"x11" ("letter size"), 8.5"x14" ("legal size"), 11"x14" ("ledger
size"), and various ways of cutting those in half or quarters.

But in the rest of the world you guys have these Metric systems for
paper sizes, with A4 being the closest match to letter size.  There's
also a B family of sizes.

To Europeans this stuff is intuitive but to me it makes no sense, and
I have no reference for comparison to Lego instruction manuals and
catalogs.

What I'd like to do is find out what the correct sizes for most LEGO
catalogs is.  I am guessing that they use the metric paper sizes
because they don't seem to resemble American sizes, and LEGO is a
European company.

I plan to purchase clear plastic "pocket pages" from a Japanese
stationery store (they have most of the Ax and Bx sizes) to store LEGO
instructions and catalogs.  But I don't know what sizes to get, and
don't want to bring my LEGO instructions to the store.

Can anyone give me some help determining if LEGO uses these standard
metric paper sizes for instructions and manuals, and if so, which
sizes?

--Bill.

Hi Bill,

I store for a long time now ALL my building instructions and catalogs into
those clear transparrent pockets. They are metric sized (A4 format - 210mm *
297mm). The building instructions for example Lego Trains fit perfectly into
those pockets. Then i put them into a ring map (use GOOD quality ringmaps
!). The only one that doesn't fit are some from the TECHNIC models because
the building instructions are much too thick (example : 8485 control center
[allmost a book]).If you find ringmaps with more than 2 rings, are they
preferreble. Problem with some thick building instruction books is that
after several times taking and placing on the shellf is that the holes in
the transparent pockets tear open and then you have to replace the pocket.
If you use cheap ringmaps, then the 'rings' will not fit good anymore after
a while  due to the heavy weight of ALL the building instructions in this
ringmap. I do have this problem with 2 of my ringmaps, and it's always a
hell of a problem if i want to look for an instruction somewhere in the map.
But i like this kind of storage system. The maps are divided into theme's,
for example 1 map for the 12V trains era, one (i need a second one) for the
9V trains, 1 for footbal & Adventurers, ...

I hope this will help you;

Regards
Ludo