 General / 41400
Re: Washing Legos to get rid of smoke smell
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 17:30:31 GMT

"Tom Stangl, VFAQman" wrote:

Use Lysol Kitchen Cleaner - white bottle with purple trim.

I use it full strength on ABS Lego that is really bad, or cut it all the
way down to about 1/8 strength for the old Acetate Lego or really
weathered stuff.

It will even take the smoke smell out of rubber tires - even the old
sponge tires.

Mark Ferris wrote:

I purchased some bulk Legos on eBay recently and unfortunately they
must have come from a smoking house.  Any recommendations on washing
Legos to cut this smell down?

I have used a liquid disinfectant soap to great success. What I do is
dump the smokey parts into a soapy bath and leave them for at least a
day, if not several. Then I dump them out (the water often runs black),
rinse them, and then run them in a new warm water soapy bath (usually
with just plain liquid dish soap). I haven't noticed any damage to parts
from this material (unlike when I used Pine-Sol which clouded clear
parts, and even discolored regular brick).

Another key to dealing with smokey LEGO, if you get it in an auction
lot, immediately take the packaging out to the trash, it holds an
amazing amount of smoke smell.

Frank