 General / 41396
  Washing Legos to get rid of smoke smell

I purchased some bulk Legos on eBay recently and unfortunately they must have come from a smoking house. Any recommendations on washing Legos to cut this smell down? Thanks. (22 years ago, 6-Mar-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Washing Legos to get rid of smoke smell

Use Lysol Kitchen Cleaner - white bottle with purple trim. I use it full strength on ABS Lego that is really bad, or cut it all the way down to about 1/8 strength for the old Acetate Lego or really weathered stuff. It will even take the smoke smell (...) (22 years ago, 6-Mar-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Washing Legos to get rid of smoke smell

Try using simple green. I think a 30% simple green to 70% water and soaking them in a bucket might work.. I've been using it lately, and found that it works quite well for cleaning, and Simple Green has a minty-type scent... Scott Lyttle (...) (22 years ago, 6-Mar-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Washing Legos to get rid of smoke smell

(...) I have used a liquid disinfectant soap to great success. What I do is dump the smokey parts into a soapy bath and leave them for at least a day, if not several. Then I dump them out (the water often runs black), rinse them, and then run them (...) (22 years ago, 6-Mar-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Washing Legos to get rid of smoke smell

Hi! (...) I talked with a chemsit a few days ago about the same problem. This is what he supposed: 1. Nicotin does not like heat, 40-50°C is nice for the water. That temp should not do any harm to the bricks. 2. Nicotin is a kind of oil. Adding (...) (22 years ago, 6-Mar-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Washing Legos to get rid of smoke smell

i would use a simple green and antibacterial mix in warm water. the simple green will remove the smoke, and the antibacterial will help to make sure you never get sick from using a lego that a 5 year old kept in their mouth. -tk "Mark Ferris" (...) (22 years ago, 7-Mar-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Washing Legos to get rid of smoke smell

(...) Yes, indeed - the plastic bags absorb the majority of the smell. The remainder of the smell usually fades after a day or two. For a least effort solution, I recommend putting your smelly lego in a plastic grocery bag for a bag and seeing what (...) (22 years ago, 13-Mar-03, to lugnet.general)