 General / 41244
Re: Does this happen to you (when working on a new project)?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:25:17 GMT

"David Simmons" <xenobuzz@earthlink.net> mumbled in

How many of you have noticed that your sense of the passage of time is
greatly distorted when you become involved with a new project?

Indeed!

Especially when doing one of two things: Building with Lego
and programming. Both tasks have that "many loose ends"-
feeling that have been mentioned by Tobbe. So - what to do?

Here's my advice to the class of '03 - wear sunscreen..
no.. hand lotion . hmm... no here it is:

1. Do not start building late in the evening when you know
you have to get up early next day!

2. Do not start building when your spouse(or children)
need you! Lego is great fun, but they are more important.

3. Do not put a cd on repeat! - when you get to the same
song for the 10th time you can risk thinking of that
little problem in a MOC that you had every time you
hear the song. (I know - I've tried it - kind of brainwash)

4. Get a flex job - or keep on studying - that eliminates #1.

5. Get your spouse and children to love Lego too - that
eliminates #2.

6. Turn on the radio - or just enjoy the silence....
to eliminate #3

7. Don't use the concept of time - then you can just
think of the building process as an instantaneous
"happening" where the MOC is created by your mind
and fingers...but beware of time dilation - your
surroundings have felt the passage of time and may
not understand you fully!

8. See the building as both recreational AND educational
use of your time. Both creativity and motor control are
being fine tuned...  so..  in the end.. keep building!

Happy spring* greetings from Denmark  :)

*the sun is actually shining right now! yippiieee
  ..(better light for building)...

--
| lars gjerløw jørgensen | lgj[at]jyde[dot]dk  |
| N55 43.184  E12 32.405 | www.lgj.dk | oz2lgj |