 General / 40919
Re: new 2003 sets -- Space Shuttle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:41:24 GMT

I would like to see LEGO re-release an updated version of the Space Shuttle
set #1682 as a commemorative to both lost shuttles.

The set could signify rebirth and rebuilding and to forge ahead into the
future -- key elements, I think, in the healing process.

My hope would be, if LEGO did release such a set, that they donate a portion
of the earnings to the children and families who lost someone whose purpose
was to learn more about our universe so that someday we all might benefit.

- Rob

In lugnet.modelteam, Paul S. D'Urbano writes:
In lugnet.technic, Frank Buiting writes:
In lugnet.technic, Frank Buiting writes:
In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes:
In lugnet.technic, Paul Kleniewski writes:
http://f24.parsimony.net/forum61776/messages/58775.htm

More pictures:
http://f24.parsimony.net/forum61776/messages/58783.htm

I guess these pictures also interest starwars and train fans.

-Frank

ps. when discussing the models on the pictures, please keep discussion in
the correct groups.

oops, forgot to crosspost to trains and starwars.

In trying to keep discussion in correct groups I'm sticking to .modelteam
and .general to talk about the beautiful new Space Shuttle set 7470.  I'm
assuming these are pictures from the Nuremburg Toy Fair, and that means
these aren't leaks?  I know Tim at FBTB is going to report from NY toy fair
and he's definitely not a leaker.

There's a new Space Shuttle model you can see in the links above that's just
gorgeous.  Looks like part of a new space program line along with another
set with Apollo models (7468?).  As should be immediately obvious to us all,
this comes at a painful time with the recent Columbia tragedy.  7470 appears
to be clearly marked as the Space Shuttle Discovery, but that's obviously
not enough to separate it from the events of Feb 1.  I wonder what TLC will
do here:  Release the product as planned?  Modify the packaging to include
some memorial-type reference to STS-107?  Wait to release it?  Pull the set
completely?

On a personal note, I myself feel conflicted about it.  The space shuttle
has captivated my imagination since I watched Columbia land via TV from my
2nd grade classroom in 1981.  As a boy I became obsessed with the shuttle,
building models out of paper-towel-rolls, drawing pictures, imploring my
parents to travel to great lengths to find toy versions for me.  A detailed
LEGO version was always a dream toy for me.  In fact, 8480 is what brought
me out of the Dark Ages and made me into a full-fledged AFOL.  7470 provides
the other side to the 8480 coin (IMO), a detailed aesthetic model to
compliment the great technic functionality of the other (I don't think the
number similarity 7470/8480 is an accident).  A week ago I would be bouncing
off the walls with joy about seeing that picture of 7470.  Now I don't know
what to feel.  I can't help but think that any excitement I feel about this
new set is inappropriate in light of the horrible tragedy of Columbia, and
the pain felt most of all by the loved ones of the crew.  Out of respect for
that I personally don't know how to feel, and I wonder if TLC will face the
same type of dilemma.

Regards,
Paul