 Model Team / 780
Re: new 2003 sets -- Space Shuttle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 16:42:54 GMT

<snip>
On a personal note, I myself feel conflicted about it.  The space shuttle
has captivated my imagination since I watched Columbia land via TV from my
2nd grade classroom in 1981.  As a boy I became obsessed with the shuttle,
building models out of paper-towel-rolls, drawing pictures, imploring my
parents to travel to great lengths to find toy versions for me.  A detailed
LEGO version was always a dream toy for me.  In fact, 8480 is what brought
me out of the Dark Ages and made me into a full-fledged AFOL.  7470 provides
the other side to the 8480 coin (IMO), a detailed aesthetic model to
compliment the great technic functionality of the other (I don't think the
number similarity 7470/8480 is an accident).  A week ago I would be bouncing
off the walls with joy about seeing that picture of 7470.  Now I don't know
what to feel.  I can't help but think that any excitement I feel about this
new set is inappropriate in light of the horrible tragedy of Columbia, and
the pain felt most of all by the loved ones of the crew.  Out of respect for
that I personally don't know how to feel, and I wonder if TLC will face the
same type of dilemma.

I disagree completely.  A new, highly detailed LEGO version of the Space
Shuttle is a tribute to the ideals, visions, and dreams that propelled Columbia
into space.  The people who died on board died for that vision.  They knew
there were risks and dangers, but went through with it anyway.  In a spirit of
hope and exploration.

I feel the LEGO space sets are a way of memorializing not just the Columbia,
but the Challenger and all the other people who have died pursueing humanity's
dream of exporing space.  Furthermore, these sets will inspire a new generation
of astronauts and dreamers to continue what has already been started.  To make
sure that those who died, did not die in vain.

_lenny

Regards,
Paul