 General / 40690
    What Process are Lego Bricks Manufactured With? —Sun Yun
   I was sitting in front of the computer the other day and just staring at a 2x4 lego brick. How the heck do they make these things? They go against everything I've ever learned about injection molding; no draft angle, no radius in the corners, etc (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jan-03, to lugnet.general)

        Re: What Process are Lego Bricks Manufactured With? —Richard Morton
     You think that is bad, I have been practically exploding my brain trying to work out how the heck they injection mold the chains. Each link is a single piece, so all the links must be molded in place. I can't imagine that they mold the entire thing (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jan-03, to lugnet.general)

         Re: What Process are Lego Bricks Manufactured With? —Erik Olson
      (...) I always supposed they would be made using a chain making machine, possibly extruding the plastic at the same time. Still pretty amazing. But then so are sewing machines. A maker of chain making machines, Sisma: (URL) who says Lego doesn't (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.general)

         Re: What Process are Lego Bricks Manufactured With? —Ted Michon
     (...) We happened to be touring a factory in Billund on a day when they were making dark gray chains -- in fact, we brought some home, literally hot out of the machine. That said, we have no insights into the mystery of how they get formed except to (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.general)

        Re: What Process are Lego Bricks Manufactured With? —Tommy Rainwater
   This is probably of no help... but I shot a few pix of a "retired" 2x3 mold at Legoland CA this past summer... They are a bit blurry, but maybe I'll shoot a few more if I can make it out to BricksWest next month! Here are the links: (URL) that helps (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.general)