 General / 40692
Re: What Process are Lego Bricks Manufactured With?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 00:07:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Morton writes:
You think that is bad, I have been practically exploding my brain trying to
work out how the heck they injection mold the chains.

I always supposed they would be made using a chain making machine, possibly
extruding the plastic at the same time. Still pretty amazing. But then so are
sewing machines.

A maker of chain making machines, Sisma:

http://www.sisma.com/html/En/jewell/index.htm

And who says Lego doesn't have draft angles? They are as much present as on any
other construction toy since the 50s.

If you inspect a Lego brick from its injection point onward, you will
appreciate that the melt will not jet, thanks to the anti-studs under the
studs, and despite square corners further on, the channel is of uniform
thickness. Probably the molds are vented at the squared top.

To me the amazing thing is that somebody created these moulds by hand 60 years
ago. Here are your tools:

http://www.toolhawk.com/tools/General_Tools_Hand_Tools_Files_Rasps_7985.cfm

Now go kiss your wire EDM.

-Erik
(My project in college was injection molding of magnesium alloy in epoxy
binder, for oven sintering. Attempt to discover the process parameters to yield
consistent dimensions after ~2% shrinking. I guess controlled shrinkage is a
hint as to the draft angle mystery--suppose your packing profile produced the
right shrinkage to counterbalance draft angle? Maybe overkill, it's just an
idea.)