 General / 40590
Re: Another "borrowed" picture...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 04:09:58 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bram Lambrecht writes:
What's the point of taking other people's stuff and reposting it?

Bram,
     Please don't be offended by this...I in no way endorse the posting of
someone's work without making note that it is their work and not yours.
Proper credit should even be given for ideas borrowed and used in your own work.
     But I hope you'll understand what I'm getting at in a minute.
     An architecture professor of mine who taught classes in pictorial
representation and style related during one class that each and every year
some of his contract drawings went missing.  They weren't forgotten; he was
too sharp for that.  They were stolen, and occassionally recovered perfectly
intact.  We were horrified, knowing how long he must have labored to make
each one come out just right.
     Then he floored us by saying this:  "I'm flattered, actually."  He went
on to explain that somehow somebody thought enough of his work to want to
look at it and want to keep it - even if the way they went about it wasn't
right.  He told us that he hoped some day someone would like our works
enough to want to take them, too.

     Maybe this is an admirer of your work, and this is his or her way of
showing friends some of the cool stuff that can be done once you get away
from the package instructions.  Maybe this young person accesses the
computer at the library, and just wanted to keep a file of inspirational
works, but didn't have a disk of his or her own.
     And maybe it's a creep trying to get points with friends by passing off
your work as his or her own.

     But I hope one day some little kid out there will want to post my MOCs,
because it means that I'm making something interesting.

     Don't let it bug you.  When it counts, people know your work as yours.

Peace and Long Life,
Tony Alexander