 General / 40009
Re: Feedback thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:03:00 GMT

I believe you have brought a current trend to the spotlight
John...discussion is always a good thing.  Normally I don't really get into
the policy/personal do's & don't of Lugnet, but in this case it looks to be
a healthy discussion!

For me, the frequency of feedback I am able to give at times is in direct
relation to the sporadic periods of down time afforded to me throughout the
day due to the nature of my work. I have a feeling that many other posters
in .space and the rest of Lugnet are in the same boat.

The server speed on Brickshelf is indeed a hindrance.  Always considering
myself a patient person, I find myself becoming a little frustrated with the
BS galleries as well.  While this doesn't stop me from looking, it
definately doesn't help.  In .general I've posted a message along with
others to see if there is anything we can do to help Kevin improve service.
Hopefully there is a solution to help him with this incredible resource he
has provided for us.

About posting in general?  I don't really know what a solution would be, or
even if one is needed.  People have their own way of appreciating art...and
art is really what everyone is doing here.  Some quietly observe and digest
what is displayed, others inquire as to the inspiration or technique used.
In some cases, the technique and beauty is self-evident, provoking nothing
more than a 'cool'.  In some ways, this is the highest compliment...pure
reaction.

Although I think everyone enjoys positive feedback and most appreciate
critical suggestions, not everyone is always comfortable giving it.  New
folks have to feel their way around...let the place get comfortable before
going letting their voice be heard.  It's a vulnerability issue for some
folks....you're opening yourself up to the community.

It seems that all these things go in cycles, with highs and lows marked by
trends, fads, group efforts (conventions, moonbase etc.), and posts like
this one you've started John.  We're all really in this gig together and are
bound to experience fluctuations as our separate lives converge on this
small point in cyberspace.

With such projects such as the moonbase at the conventions, you see all
kinds  of spacey comments popping up in .train and .castle.  Collect it all
in our rapidly developing .space splash page and it's new high warp
curatorship, new converts are assurred.

I believe with the technical issues of image presentation improved, a few
whooshing presents under the tree and the impetus this post has generated,
.space will continue to draw us in and draw us out into the community of
fellow rocketheads.

Thanks for this John.

Cheers,
-Gil

In lugnet.space, John Henry Kruer writes:
I've noticed a big change in feedback here.  In the 'old' days of Lugnet,
every post would get responded, even a tiny model would generate a large
thread of discussion.

Now, feedback and people who give them seems to be divided into two groups:
those who always give feedback and those who rarely give feedback.  Now, I
know that some people don't have the time to post feedback, but I mean,
things used to be a lot different.  Maybe people just lost the initial
enthusiasim of Lugnet?

Most models or ideas often get maybe 1 or 2 or 3 replies, but then when a
particullar person or a particullar idea/fad posts, instantly, within
minutes, bunches of people start replying, and the original poster gets five
or ten or fifteen replies.

Sometimes this rule is broke in extremely good ideas/models, but often I see
a model that I love and is really well built- and it gets 1 or 2 replies, as
if nobody bothered to see it.

What's you're opinion on feedback?  Do you lurk, and sometimes post
responces to extraordinary things?  Or do believe everybody should get
feedback, just because?  Do think feedback is better in quantity or quality?
Do you value of particullarly long, detailed, well-written posts over five
short, 'That's nice.  bye' posts?

I'm cross-posting this to .space, because that's the place I hang out the
most, and is a bit quiet lately anyway.

-JHK