 General / 39154
Re: From the useless statistics department...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:11:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, Cary Clark writes:
In lugnet.general, Kerry Raymond writes:

One blue tub (used by set 3033, 4107 and so on) holds around 1500 loose 2x4
bricks. ...

Inquiring minds want to know how many 2x4s will fit in the blue tub if you >pack them carefully as opposed to loose?

It's a difficult problem, because the blue tub's interior is an irregular
shape. However, the inside is about 19 bricks high, a fraction over 30 studs
wide at the top, tapering down to 29 studs, with the length averaging 39 or
40 studs. My guess is that the maximum you could pack in would be 2767, and
still get the lid on.

Here's another sticky point: How firmly does the lid have to go on in order
to constitute being "closed"? The lid sinks in a bit, and I've often had the
experience that when they're overly full, the lid still locks tightly,
despite the fact that the center of the lid is slightly "bent upwards". And,
of course, I'd bet if you counted "closed" as anything where the lid would
stay shut, you'd find that different lids could take differing amounts of
force before popping off...

DaveE