 General / 39159
Re: From the useless statistics department...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 03:35:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.general, Cary Clark writes:
In lugnet.general, Kerry Raymond writes:
In lugnet.general, Cary Clark writes:
One blue tub (used by set 3033, 4107 and so on) holds around
1500 loose 2x4 bricks. ...

Inquiring minds want to know how many 2x4s will fit in the blue tub
if you >pack them carefully as opposed to loose?

... My guess is that the maximum you could pack in would be 2767, and
still get the lid on.

Here's another sticky point: How firmly does the lid have to go on in order
to constitute being "closed"? ...

Well, I would argue that the lid must be undistorted. If you allow
distortion of the lid, you'd need to allow the tub to be distorted as well.
Once you allow the tub to be distorted, then by facetious and nonsensical
argument you might as well consider forming the walls of the tub into a
sphere to maximize the interior volume, and while you're at it, compress the
bricks themselves into a mass of solid ABS to minimize the space wasted by
those pesky hollow tubes.

Actually, it doesn't matter to me if your lid distorts or not. But, I
sometimes worry that the weight of several full tubs stacked on each other
might cause the bricks on the bottom to become distorted, if the bottom tub
is overfilled. Has anyone seen damage to ordinary bricks from the weight of
other elements?

Cary