 General / 38754
Re: Geekshelf is online!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 22:47:53 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kevin Loch writes:
I have created a Brickshelf-like gallery for more general geek topics:

http://www.geekshelf.com/

I've got a question: Are vacation pictures acceptable material for Geekshelf?
I've always wanted a good place to host such pictures but they don't quite seem
to fit Geekshelf (at least most of my vacation pictures, now if I had pictures
from the trip I took in college with my sister where we went to a hamfest, an
artificial intelligence conference in DC, and the First IBM PC Faire, now that
would be Geekshelf material :-).

p.s. Here's one reference to the 1st IBM PC Faire:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=4760%40sri-arpa.UUCP

I remember playing with a Xerox Star at the AI conference, and I bought some
boards for my Ohio Scientific computer at the hamfest.

The funny part was that I had read about the IBM PC Faire in Byte a few weeks
before my sister suggested the trip, and thought it would be neat to go to, but
something I could never manage (living on the East coast). Then my sister
wanted to treat me to a trip (I forget exactly why) and she suggested going to
a computer show or something, and so I whipped out the idea of the IBM PC
Faire, she also decided to pay a visit to the San Jose office of FMC who she
was working for at the time and interview with them for a possible job
transfer. We got a tour of their facilities which were pretty impressive,
especially their equipment stress testing lab which had a floor which was
basically giant metal graph paper to which you could bolt equipment.

Frank