 General / 37668
Re: So what *IS* a Building Instruction anyway?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:30:15 GMT

[ XFUT lugnet.cad ]

Steve Bliss wrote:

In lugnet.build, LEGO-Oli wrote:

"Jake McKee" <sink@countersinkdg.com> wrote:

Any form of communication that allows one person to share a LEGO related
idea with another.

For the format, this means that any .ldr/.dat/.mpd, PDF, photos, textual
description, and so on.
For the content, this means any full creation instruction, an individual
building technique, design study, and so on. It can be free or for sale.

So is a .ldr/.dat/.mpd that's not separated into simply followable steps also
an instruction?

Sure -- I'd say an accurate ldraw file is a very detailed document,
specifying exactly what is in a model, and how it's put together.

Yes, but sometimes it is not exactly in an ideal form for
the renderers we have at hand today. It would for example be
practical, if it was possible:

  * to tell the renderer that something ought to be
    rendered as a sub-assembly.

  * to tell the renderer to show different steps
    from different angles.

Play well,

Jacob
--
LEGO Purists' Fighter (building instructions):
   http://jacob.sparre.dk/LEGO/Transport/Fly/Purists_fighter/