 CAD / 8347
Re: So what *IS* a Building Instruction anyway?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 18:36:21 GMT

In lugnet.build, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
[ XFUT lugnet.cad ]

Steve Bliss wrote:
Sure -- I'd say an accurate ldraw file is a very detailed document,
specifying exactly what is in a model, and how it's put together.

Yes, but sometimes it is not exactly in an ideal form for
the renderers we have at hand today. It would for example be
practical, if it was possible:

* to tell the renderer that something ought to be
   rendered as a sub-assembly.

Hmm.  LDAO can do this.  Or, it used to be able to.  In the HTML instruction
generator, it would scan for 0 SUB meta-statements in the main text.  the 0
SUB line(s) would reference files that the HTML-IG would render as an inset
subassembly.  I think the HTML-IG has been broken for awhile now...

* to tell the renderer to show different steps
   from different angles.

MLCAD can do this, but you haven't read about it...

Both operations you mention would be very nice things to be able to do, as a
native feature of the LDraw modelling-language (as opposed to the LDraw
parts-language, both of which would be variations of the general LDraw
graphical description language).

Steve