 General / 36880
Re: I found some LEGO Island Sets!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 02:37:27 GMT

Glen Gower wrote:

There are some at Mrs. Tiggy Winkle's at the Rideau Centre in Ottawa.

Good looking sets, but lots of juniorization.  Some good parts though.

I stongly disagree with the characterization of these sets as
juniorized. They are mildly juniorized, but overall pretty good. Of
course I haven't seen the big set yet, but the vehicles don't depend on
any juniorized pieces at all (well, Ok, the truck trailer is one piece,
but it would be hard to do a flatbed trailer without a large single
piece [at least if it is to have good strength]). The major
simplification complaints I have:

- the truck cab doesn't have glass for the rear window
- the airplane has a pretty cheesy windshield (why not a 1x2x1 thin wall
at least?)

Hmm, I can't think of much else...

There is also at least one more new part, the half-pipe part.

Probably the coolest, most detailed studio sets yet -- but too much
juniorization for me.

I wouldn't characterize the studio sets as overly juniorized either,
though I certainly would call them more juniorized than the Island
Xtreme Stunts sets (but then the big set actually is a building, and
there really aren't many vehicles). On the other hand, the big set does
also have all sorts of nifty gizmo details, all of which are built from
bunches of bricks. The primary juniorization of it is that the building
is kind of breezy (note that I'm not dinging the beach lookout for
breeziness because many of these structures in real life are not much
more than shelters).

Other than 5 high columns and bunches of 1x2x2 bricks in the Studio
sets, I don't see lots of gratuitous large pieces. There's not a single
BURP. Ok, there's a printed card for a wall in one of the Studio sets,
but hey, it gets an ok looking wall out of one piece which is almost
certainly cheaper to make than a castle wall part (not to mention that
it's kind of in character for a studio set). The Brickster's boat isn't
a single piece floating hull (though that would have been cool in it's
own way), and certainly has a heck of a lot more detail than the boat in
4610. The airplane doesn't rely on any POOPs (ok, perhaps the tail is,
but that's not a recent piece).

Frank