 General / 36639
Re: 1x6 and 1x8 Tile Variations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 20:29:38 GMT

"Steve Bliss" <partsref@yahoo.com> writes:

In lugnet.general, William R. Ward writes:
Steve Bliss <partsref@yahoo.com> writes:
Most all of the current tile pieces have a small lip, or groove, around
their bases.  Presumably, this makes it easier to separate the parts
once they're clicked on to a brick.

Once upon a time, there were no grooved tiles.

So I'm trying to figure out - did the 1x6 and 1x8 tiles ever exist in a
non-grooved version?

I've only ever seen 2x2 tiles without the groove.

Really?  I've only ever seen them *with* the groove...

What I mean is that 2x2 is the only kind I've seen without the groove.
I have some both with and without the groove.  Old 2x2 tiles lack the
groove and can be a bear to remove.  I've only seen (and currently
own) them in white (and maybe black, not sure).

Also the early 1x2
grill tiles lacked the groove.

Yep, got that one.

I think LEGO figured you could use the space between the grill to
remove them, but that proved too difficult, so they added the groove.
Sort of like the two types of Technic friction pegs - the original
ones were so had to remove they redesigned them a bit.

--Bill.