 General / 36310
  What is Correct Pronunciation of "Paradisa"?

A bit of a silly question, I know, but is it "Para-DI-sa" or "Para-DEE-sa"? I searched the newsgroups for previous comments on this subject but came up empty-handed. This question has been bugging me a bit lately because I just completed a huge (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.town)

  Re: What is Correct Pronunciation of "Paradisa"?

(...) I would say "pay ra DEE sa". Which shows my US accent in the first syllable and my minimal romance language studies in the third. But it's a made-up word, right? (23 years ago, 30-Mar-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: What is Correct Pronunciation of "Paradisa"?

(...) A hint from www.dictionary.com: (URL) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: What is Correct Pronunciation of "Paradisa"?

(...) that end with that -disa; that would be a better indicator, because final As are always voiced whereas final Es only make the preceding vowel long. But the real indicator, I'd think, is how a Spanish-speaker would pronounce it; that's what the (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: What is Correct Pronunciation of "Paradisa"?

(...) I've often wondered about that. I suppose I tend to say "Par-a-DIE-sa" just because it's a permutation of the word "Paradise." And remember kids, Technic = "Tech NICK" Technique = "Tech NEEK" (23 years ago, 31-Mar-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: What is Correct Pronunciation of "Paradisa"?

(...) Hi Greg... I'm no expert and being Australian may also cause me to say things a little different (ha ha), but I have always and only heard it said "Para-DEE-sa". Not only that but I think it has a nicer ring to it than the other way. (...) (23 years ago, 31-Mar-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: What is Correct Pronunciation of "Paradisa"?

(...) I say para-Dee-sa only because para-dice-a sounds totally cornball. I actually misread it the first few times I saw the word and thought it was paradisia which I pronounced para-dee-see-ya. Oops. Chris (23 years ago, 31-Mar-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: What is Correct Pronunciation of "Paradisa"?

(...) Thanks for the reply Lindsay - for a couple of reasons. First I was going to reply to Tobbe that I am aware that "Paradisa" is etymologically related to "paradise" and that the pronunciation of that word is not in question. I was going to make (...) (23 years ago, 31-Mar-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: What is Correct Pronunciation of "Paradisa"?

(...) It's whatever way you feel the most comfortable pronouncing it. :-) --Todd (23 years ago, 1-Apr-02, to lugnet.town)