 Town / 4487
Re: What is Correct Pronunciation of "Paradisa"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 16:08:49 GMT

In lugnet.town, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.town, Tobbe Arnesson writes:
http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=paradise

  Yeh, but that A changes the game entirely.  Look for other words
  that end with that -disa; that would be a better indicator, because
  final As are always voiced whereas final Es only make the preceding
  vowel long.

  But the real indicator, I'd think, is how a Spanish-speaker would
  pronounce it; that's what the A is undoubtedly meant to convey, the
  thought of Californian or Caribbean paradise.  So I'd go with the
  short I and the Spanish stresses.

Thanks for the reply Lindsay - for a couple of reasons.

First I was going to reply to Tobbe that I am aware that "Paradisa" is
etymologically related to "paradise" and that the pronunciation of that word
is not in question.  I was going to make up some goofy statement about the
beautiful mysteries of the English Lanaguage and that because one word had
four vowels and the other three, and because "a" precedes "e" in the
alphabet, a whole other set of convulated grammatical rules apply and
therefore it wasn't as simple as pointing to the original word and its
pronunciation in order to come up with an answer to my question.

However, your statements about considering Spanish when contemplating the
pronunciation of "paradisa" make a lot of sense to me and so I thank you for
those thoughts also.  Your answer makes me wonder if my inclination to
pronounce it as "para-dee-sa" has always been subconciously influenced by
those Spanish lessons I took for a couple of years about two decades ago.

Also, as was pointed out by others, "para-die-sa" just doesn't sound right
for some reason to my ear.

So I think I'll stick with "para-dee-sa" and while I'm at it maybe start
adding a bit of a Spanish roll and emphasis to my pronunciation.

G.