 General / 35926
Re: Best Way to Cut Baseplates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 16:30:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Adrian Egli writes:
I'm in a design "pickle" of sorts.  Not too long ago I began cutting up the
48 studs sq. baseplates to retangular forms so I may use them on platforms
for bridges.  OK, that's easy, but how can I do "stepped" cuts?  Say, I want
to cut out an area, starting from the corner, of 2x8.  Following that would
be a cut of 2x9 then 2x10 and so forth.  By the time its over, holding the
baseplate up, you'll have a series of risers w/ a measure of 2 studs and
landing w/ measures of 1 stud, "steps" if you will.

Your knowledge is welcome.

--
Adrian Egli
http://www.scltc.org

Some ideas (have not tried myself)

The normal cutting method of scoring the plate with a sharp knife and snapping
it works best on strait cuts. One posibility is to take a piece of 1/8 inch (or
metric equivalent) masonite (any thin sheet material) and cut the pattern with
a band or scroll saw. The template could then be taped (double stick tape) to
the baseplate and used as a cutting guide.

Tape masonite to plate (as a backing material) and cut plate in band or scroll
saw plate side up.

Use bricks attached to the plate along the edge to be cut as a guide and make
the cut from the top (stud side) with a sharp knife. The guide bricks will
probably get cut or scored so use MegaBloks (TM)

Lester