 General / 35924
Re: Heavy Equipment Maintenance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 03:22:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.general, Josh Baakko writes:
In lugnet.town, Duane Hess writes:
Not sure where this should end up, so I'll start here and FUT to .General

I'm looking for pictures of wheel/tire replacement for heavy equipment in
the field. If a large Terex dump truck gets a flat on the way to a mine, how
do they raise the truck and replace the tire? Do they use a large jack and
mobile crane, or some other equipment?

Any help is appreciated.

-Duane

I'd guess a crane, theres one (was two) mine 100 miles from here, but I had
never thought about the tires being changed!  I know that they deliver them
with a normal flat bed truck, simular to a logging pulp wood truck, that has
a fairly large crane on it...  I suppose a crane, & often changes at the
maintainence building!
Josh

I know that there is a lot of preventive maintenance with the mining
equipment, so my example is a little far fetched. Ross Crawford gave a good
example of how they change out a tire in that situation.

With regard to preventative maintenance of truck tyres, you'll find most large
mining trucks with dual rear wheels have a long strip of steel hanging loosely
(from under the tipper) between the tyres of each pair. This is to dislodge any
rocks that may become wedged between the tyres. Not removing these causes the
tyres to wear much quicker, as the tyre walls move in & out with each rotation.

How about something a little more common like an earth scraper or large
wheeled loader? I'm looking for field service rather than something done
in-shop.

I dunno, but I'd guess wheeled loaders would change their front tyres by
lifting the front up with the tub arms. Back tyres are a mystery though....

ROSCO