 General / 35231
Re: LEGO Statue of Liberty pedestal (was:Re: Help a Newbie build his first LEGO Train set!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 01:19:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, Erik Olson writes:
In lugnet.trains, Ken Dowd writes:

Ooh! Does anyone know if there are pics of this LEGO pedestal online? I got
the Statue of Liberty sculpture for Christmas and after putting it together,
sat down and made a MOC pedestal for it on a large grey baseplate (it stands
19" high). I would really like to see this professionally made one.

I have to say that viewing this "professionally made" pedestal first put the
idea into my head to buy no more LEGO.

One of my triggers was a large (3 or 4 feet in diameter) UFO/Spaceship in a
nearby Toys 'R Us.  It is made of many many light grey bricks.  I have no
idea how you'd go about acquiring the types, quantities and colors used in
this model.  It would very nearly impossible.

The pedestal and other sculptures at "Fortress TRU" are made mostly from
parts that have not been made available to consumers, in particular 1x3s in
rare colors and transparent bricks. Some other customers were talking about
the rare color--they assumed it wasn't LEGO at all.

The more I talk to parents and listen in on their conversations in toy
aisles, the more convinced I am that the distinction between LEGO and
Megablocks is eroding.  On many occasions I have overheard the two names
being used interchangeably.  If LEGO is still trying to build their brand,
they best try a bit harder.

It's the same reason why some fans will never go to Legoland.

For me it's the reason that the 'Ultimate LEGO Book' is so bitterly sweet.
I LOVE looking through this book.  I do it again and again.  But each time I
am so sad by the end.  How on earth do they expect even the most dedicated
and loyal of customers to acquire the bricks to build even some of the
smaller items featured?  It's so frustrating.

It just makes
us unhappy, like playing with a kid who brags about how many toys he has and
won't share.

Eric, I think you've hit on the heart of the issue for many adult fans.
Kids may not see this problem the way some adults see it, though I suspect
many do.  The LEGO company has this quirky attitude of "let us show you what
*we* can build with bricks which we refuse to sell you."

Now the idea of companies showcasing prototypes or products that are not
available to the public isn't new, nor is it limited to the LEGO company.
The auto manufacturers do it every year when they show off 'concept cars'.
These, of course, are cars which push their design and crafting skills to
the limit, but which may never appear (exactly as shown) at the consumer level.

However, what the auto companies don't do is put concept cars in their
dealerships.  What you see is what you can buy.  They don't put a 'not for
sale' suped up hot rod next to the family sedan you intend to buy.  LEGO
needs to see the value in making its box of spare parts available to its
loyal and in many cases LONG TERM customers.  To not do so is to continue to
taunt and tease with models, colors and parts that they are too selfish to
sell. This will only wash for so long before people begin to look for
alternatives.  Aside from it not making any business sense at all.... it's
just not nice.  Play fair guys.

I hate to sound like a broken record on this issue, but I truly feel it's
one of the most critical problems that the company needs to face up to.

That pedestal for the SOL drove me straight to my current spree of
clone-brand buying. Though I can't say those clone brands are any more
satisfying.

2002: the year of no new LEGO (sad that my final purchase was Jack Stone)

Erik... tisk tisk.... Jack Stone?  At least go out and get a Bionicle, then
call it a year.  ;)

All the best!
Allan B.
Expert Builder website