 General / 35229
Re: LEGO Statue of Liberty pedestal (was:Re: Help a Newbie build his first LEGO Train set!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 20:22:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ken Dowd writes:

Ooh! Does anyone know if there are pics of this LEGO pedestal online? I got
the Statue of Liberty sculpture for Christmas and after putting it together,
sat down and made a MOC pedestal for it on a large grey baseplate (it stands
19" high). I would really like to see this professionally made one.

I have to say that viewing this "professionally made" pedestal first put the
idea into my head to buy no more LEGO.

The pedestal and other sculptures at "Fortress TRU" are made mostly from
parts that have not been made available to consumers, in particular 1x3s in
rare colors and transparent bricks. Some other customers were talking about
the rare color--they assumed it wasn't LEGO at all.

It's the same reason why some fans will never go to Legoland. It just makes
us unhappy, like playing with a kid who brags about how many toys he has and
won't share.

That pedestal for the SOL drove me straight to my current spree of
clone-brand buying. Though I can't say those clone brands are any more
satisfying.

2002: the year of no new LEGO (sad that my final purchase was Jack Stone)

-Erik