 General / 35045
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 00:49:47 GMT

"Visu" <eng01241@NUS.EDU.SG> wrote in message news:GpLFKq.A8r@lugnet.com...
Hmmm...does this mean you'd also advocate butting the Lugnet admins in
charge of uploading all the MOC pics created by Lunget posters that week?

That is effectively what you are asking the BZ admins to do.

-Dave

There is a big difference between the two in my opinion.The majority of
folders/pics uploaded to Brickshelf by Lugnet posters are MOCs,CAD
renderings things which "belong" on Brickshelf.They are the reason
Brickshelf was created for in the first place.(Correct me if I'm wrong
here.).

I agree.  Though this is all subjective, an opinion, and making a value
judgement, I feel strongly this way.

The avatars are little images used for a chat forum, MOCs are not.  The
nature of a MOC pic (real or CAD) is much different than the nature of the
avatars.  Though there are some poorly done (subjective) MOCs out there, to
the vast majority they're far more visually pleasing than the avatars are.
The only avatars pleasing to the eyes are photos well done of Bionicles.

An avatar is not showcasing creativity using LEGO products, it is an
artistic representation of a LEGO product.  And its purpose isn't showcasing
the artwork, the purpose is an icon to represent a person in a chat forum.

There's not much left to debate though as far as calling for their
banishment, Kevin has spoken.  I accept his decision and appreciate his
thoughts on content filters.  I hope they're implemented soon, because the
avatars are very annoying to many people who I have talked to.

I know there's no grounds for me to debate this on a level of reasoning.
That's not my attempt here.  My attempt is to separate MOCs from avatars,
they're two different things with two different purposes.

-Tim