 General / 35001
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 16:33:47 GMT

Forwarded to lugnet.general

So they suggest that users go find free sites to host the pics on. Pushing
the problem off their own site and on to other sites, in essence.

It's not a problem, it is a choice. The free sites offer their service
without stipulation for people to use. Brickshelf is there for all Lego
aficionados.

**Warning*** I am going off an a tangent-

Lugnet has virtually ignored Bionicle fans. They are ridiculed as juveniles
and those not worthy of belonging to the rest of the Lego clique here at
Lugnet. Therefore, an alternative to Lugnet was created for Bionicle fans to
discuss their hobby. This alternative was Bionicle Zone. Bionicle Zone is
just like Lugnet as we all come together to discuss MOCs, market issues, and
new set releases.

I will concede that Bionicle is geared toward youngsters, and that reflects
itself in BZ's membership. Younger people are immature and need neat little
pictures to reflect themselves. Those little pictures are the avatars. The
kids want to reflect their identity in these pictures called avatars because
they see it is very important to their status, or for some other reason.
Now, these pictures are all Lego related, and last time I checked Brickshelf
allows Lego related images on their site. Whether it be the theme you guys
consider to be a gutter theme (Bionicle) or Castle, Lego images belong on
brickshelf, and just because some 14 year old kid from BZ if putting the
image on brickshelf rather than some 40 something here at Lugnet does not
make the 14 year old wrong.

You all are right, the final decision does come down to Kevin, but I cant
see why he would want to stifle the creativity of the youngsters at BZ. We,
as AFOLs, have to admit that Bionicle is bringing many kids who would have
not been Lego fans into the Lego community. It may not be the Lugnet
community because they fell uncomfortable here, but they are a part of a
community of fans that sticks together just as Lugnet does. Thanks to
Bionicle and Bionicle Zone, these kids are the future AFOLs. And, if they
need a little Bionicle picture to ensure that they will have a better
experience as they are being made into life-long Lego fans, I dont see any
harm in it.

-Rich
AKA Bionicle
Assistant Administrator,