 General / 34993
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 05:44:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jon Palmer writes:
According to the TOS for BrickShelf, the folks posting their avatar images
are doing nothing wrong: http://www.brickshelf.com/terms.html

I never said that these posts were going against the TOS.  That was one of
my points.  Maybe its time that Kevin re-evaluated some of the points of the
TOS.

While I do agree with you that the TOS may need to be re-looked at, I still
would have to say that these avatar images ARE Bionicle (hence LEGO, by your
own admission), and as such, allowable.

And, while this may have been one of your points, it's not what you actually
said, now is it? 8?P

<snip>

I think the spirit of the service is that all uploads to BrickShelf should
be LEGO related, but still, that is not put forth in the TOS. Personally, • I
only upload LEGO related images, even if that connection might seem
nebulous. By that reasoning, since the avatar images ARE LEGO related, I • see
no problem with them.

Seriously these images are BARELY Lego related.  But besides that I think
that completely flooding the Recent Updates with ANY image should be
addressed.

The discussions that they are attached to are (from my understanding, and
judging by the headers of the groups) completely Bionicle (LEGO) related.

If it were one person, uploading hundreds and hundreds of the same, or
slightly different images, I would have to agree. But this is many different
users posting many different images.

Now, talk to me about the images in this folder (
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=485 ), and how it probably
breaks the BrickShelf TOS.

Yes I saw that as well.  Steve mentioned what happened.

What chat? Steve mentioned something, but with no correlating info. I can
only assume you and he were chatting online somewhere at the same time you
were posting your first message, and Zlatko joined in. I notice Zlatko
changed the images.

These Avatar images (etc..) seem to pertain to a website called
BionicleZone. Could the creators of these images please keep these where
they belong and off BrickShelf.

If you check out BionicleZone, their first help post is about posting
pictures to their forum...and BrickShelf is given as a source of free web
space to hold the images:

http://www.bzcommunity.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3c37ccb7524fffff;act=ST;f
=19;t=14

What does this have to do with whether or not these avatars *should* be
posted to Brickshelf.  Just because some guy on a completely unrelated
website recommended that these pictures be posted to brickshelf does not
mean that they should be. I really don't see how this backs up your
argument.

New user goes to BionicleZone>user wants to post avatar image>user reads
message from BionicleZone operator telling them to use BrickShelf to hold
the image.

When you are new to something, who do you trust to tell you how things are
done in that situation? The authority is telling the uninitiated, the
uninitiated is following the lead of the authority.

If they aren't breaking the current BrickShelf TOS, then the images *should*
be uploaded to BrickShelf.

<snip>

Perhaps a message to Kevin is called for, to see if the TOS needs to be
altered?

At the very least I think Kevin should consider taking *some* action.  Not
just for these images but for all of the other junk that is taking advantage
of BrickShelf.  Maybe in the future he could have some moderators weed out
offensive content.

Urg...not moderators. And since it's Kevin's site, altering the TOS would be
100% his call. Have you sent him a message stating your complaints?

<snip>

Matt