 General / 34991
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 05:08:20 GMT

According to the TOS for BrickShelf, the folks posting their avatar images
are doing nothing wrong: http://www.brickshelf.com/terms.html

I never said that these posts were going against the TOS.  That was one of
my points.  Maybe its time that Kevin re-evaluated some of the points of the
TOS.

I'm not complaining about the photos of Bionicle Mocs.  These constantly
flood the recent updates as well but at least they pertain more to Lego • and
building.

I think the spirit of the service is that all uploads to BrickShelf should
be LEGO related, but still, that is not put forth in the TOS. Personally, • I
only upload LEGO related images, even if that connection might seem
nebulous. By that reasoning, since the avatar images ARE LEGO related, I • see
no problem with them.

Seriously these images are BARELY Lego related.  But besides that I think
that completely flooding the Recent Updates with ANY image should be
addressed.

Now, talk to me about the images in this folder (
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=485 ), and how it probably
breaks the BrickShelf TOS.

Yes I saw that as well.  Steve mentioned what happened.

These Avatar images (etc..) seem to pertain to a website called
BionicleZone. Could the creators of these images please keep these where
they belong and off BrickShelf.

If you check out BionicleZone, their first help post is about posting
pictures to their forum...and BrickShelf is given as a source of free web
space to hold the images:

http://www.bzcommunity.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3c37ccb7524fffff;act=ST;f
=19;t=14

What does this have to do with whether or not these avatars *should* be
posted to Brickshelf.  Just because some guy on a completely unrelated
website recommended that these pictures be posted to brickshelf does not
mean that they should be. I really don't see how this backs up your
argument.

So bottom line, in a way (and unless Kevin says something to the • contrary),
they DO belong on BrickShelf (as annoying as they may be).

I realize that Bionicle is just a fad and these images will probably
dissapear in 4 months (at least until the new wave comes out)  but I • can't
wait that long.

So is this more of a Bionicle pet peeve than anything for you? Other than
annoying you, what harm are the posters doing? Again, they are not • breaking
the TOS for BrickShelf, and are following the suggestion of the • operator(s)
of BionicleZone.

Not really.  I like Bionicle in moderation. They have some nifty parts.  I
think that they ARE (as alien as they may be) Lego. My problem is with the
wave after wave of annoying pixelated drawings that I feel are flooding
(Abusing) BrickShelf.

<Note: Remember, I'm just being a busybody here, and not attacking Jon
personally. Jon is, of course, totally entitled to his opinion. I just • think
that he may not be the only one annoyed by the avatar images, and I want • to
give the others annoyed, and those posting do darn many of these images to
BrickShelf, a chance to hash it out.>

Perhaps a message to Kevin is called for, to see if the TOS needs to be
altered?

At the very least I think Kevin should consider taking *some* action.  Not
just for these images but for all of the other junk that is taking advantage
of BrickShelf.  Maybe in the future he could have some moderators weed out
offensive content.

Or to the operator(s) of BionicleZone, asking them to refrain from • promoting
BrickShelf as free space for the images?

Or to the individuals posting the avatar images, asking them to stop?

Can those posting the avatars shed some light on why you need SO DARN MANY
of the things?

Exactly. Why??

-Jon