 General / 34397
Re: Magnetic Levitator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 10:38:16 GMT

Chris, I remember when we were at the Lugola meeting and you said you were
gonna make this device and incorporate Lego into it, and now walllllllaaaaa!

More below....

In lugnet.build, Christopher Snead writes:
Hello, everyone!

I've finally finished a project for my Physics class:

This device suspends small, ferromagnetic objects in midair using an
electromagnet and a beam of light.  The beam of light shines on a
phototransistor, which translates via a control circuit into current to the
electromagnet.  An object in the path of the beam reduces the amount of light
incident on the phototransistor.  As the object falls, more light reaches the
phototransistor, and the magnet gets stronger; as the object moves towards the
magnet, less light reaches the detector, translating into a weaker magnetic
field.  The object reaches equilibruim, and hangs in midair!

Elegant!

I used Lego to build the frame and the light shields.  As it turns out, the
LED's and the phototransistors fit quite well into the technic holes.  Using
Lego saved quite a bit of time, as opposed to machining an apparatus.  It also
allowed me to play with Lego while working on my final project! ;-)

Right on!

Sorry to all of the Purists out there - Lego does not yet make electromagnets
or Phototransistors or op-amps.  Don't worry, I'll be back to building pure
Lego mecha in no time...

hee hee

Hey that's interesting 'cause  I'm gonna frame a table top with plates and
stuff and maybe some slopes n'stuff n'stuff.

Whoa! wait a second....if we mount this system at all 4 corners of the earth
we could build flying saucers for real.

(....note to self: invest one thousand trillion million billion dollars over
100,000 lifetimes and build 4 equal anti grav suspensory field generators
and place in geostationary orbit secretly so I can be the first to develope
anti-gravity planetary transit before anybody else.....)

Eric

Chris