 General / 33867
Re: I miss the old LUGNET...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 17:19:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

While I have not been a member that long and rarely post, I have read and
used Lugnet since it’s first months in existence, and I continually enjoy
it.  I found this post in the “Top Stories” category, and wished to comment
on posts that I had read.  So here we go:

Change.  While people might not like it, it is a necessity.  Change is a
necessity in today’s society.  If Lugnet did not change certain areas,
people would become bored, and visit less often.  Plus, Lugnet is constantly
growing, and in order to adapt to this growth, change is bound to happen.
We might like things to be the way they used to, but things must change.
That’s life.  I bet everyone would like things to be the way they were in
1999, before the market took a nosedive and before the recent terrorist events.

I noticed a lot of was complaining.  There were two major areas of
complaints.  One was that people were not receiving replies to their posts.
The other was the lack of services and decrease in the amount of services.

For those of you not receiving replies to your posts.  For one, consider the
fact that maybe no one finds you post interesting.  While it may seem
interesting to you doesn’t mean it is going to be of great importance to
anyone else.  I know from experience.  Instead of lingering on it (and some
people have from the posts I’ve read), just brush yourself off, and move on.
Eventually you will have a post will catch someone’s eye, and your will get
a response.  I recommend reading Joel Kuester’s post for more reasons for no
response:
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=33835

Some other good points are in Larry Pieniazek’s post:
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=33826

Also, read the list of “peeves” (starting at #4) from Lindsay Frederick
Braun.  They’re excellent:
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=33849

As for the posts complaining about the lack of/decrease in service, give me
a break.  Running all the various facets of this website must be very time
consuming and draining on a person’s enthusiasm for the webpage.  If you
have a problem with a sections or a certain service, such as something not
being updated, then volunteer your time to help correct it.  Lugnet is in
essence a club, and in order for any club to continue, it takes the
participation of all members for it to continue.  I understand constructive
is helpful, but some of the complaints I see are beyond that.

I remember one individual complaining about people posting their opinions in
a reply for a MOC post.  This is natural.  It is part of the flow of any
conversation.  Have you ever stopped a conversation to ask how you arrived
from the original subject to the present topic that is completely unrelated?
The Lugnet news group is basically a grouping of many conversations.  Plain
and simple.  Just because someone does not praise your accomplishment in his
or her reply does not mean it should not be posted.

As for the compartmentalization, while some people do take this area too
far, it is necessary for Lugnet.  Compartmentalization organizes the many
posts of Lugnet so they are easier to find and read.  If you have a large
amount of time, maybe you can read every post, but for most of us, our time
is limited, so we want read everything that pertains to our individual
preferences.  Why would anyone want to read about a topic they have no
interest in just to get a sliver of something they find relevant?

I think the “Top Stories” area is important for reading interesting posts
that you usually would not find.  For example, I never would have found this
post.  It seems that some people want their post to be in the section, but
that never materializes.  Just because you think a post belongs is a “Top
Story” does not mean everyone else will.

As for the $10 cost of membership, come on.  Cost is a lousy excuse.  It is
not a matter of cost; it is a matter of priorities.  If you really want to
be a member and enjoy the benefits of membership, you can come up with the
$10.  I joined Lugnet just when I was starting out in NYC.  I had next to no
money, but I wanted to be a member, so I found a way to get the money and
join.  $10 is nothing.  It’s a total of two hours in a job that pays minimum
wage.  Half a day of chores would get you at least double this amount, if
not more.  Just take some initiative, and you too can enjoy being a member
of Lugnet.

I have tried to read every post in this thread to get a better understanding
of people’s stances on this topic.  If you wish to respond, I welcome it.
If not, I won’t mind.  I understand my post is not of interest to everyone.
Sorry about the long message, but I wanted to submit my views.  Thank you,
and have a wonderful day.