 General / 33857
Re: Lugnet can always grow; it's up to us to make it happen.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 20:47:03 GMT

I don't post very often, but I have been a lurker for years since the heady
days of Fibblesnork. I understand the comments of people who reminisce about
the old Lugnet, but didn't Lugnet evolve from frustrations on RTL? I don't
know how many people lurk in these newsgroups. I could only guess quite a
few.

I lurked in the shadows for quite a time then joined and now I want to start
attending train shows, join Castle World, and brick* events. I agree Lugnet
can always grow. I think of Lugnet as a nexus for information for the next
train show, LUG display, or MOC ideas. Lugnet has grown by expanding the
connections everyone uses to meet other people. The best example is the
BrickFest(TM) newsgroup. I utilized the links and then watched the BrickFest
images streaming from all those cameras including the infamous security
guard surprise foot inspection. So instead of posting to the newsgroup "Hey,
look at my new MOC", people could link to the event and watch the
participants and some lucky people personally attended the event. So instead
of being a visceral part of a group on the net, they took the connection to
the next level. I would imagine LUG and train groups invite people to visit
the Lugnet website and attend other events.

The number of resources Lugnet provides is staggering, especially the
repository of knowledge in the core group of people who are the vanguard of
change within the Lego community. Several years ago, I didn't think of Lego
conventions, train clubs, robotics events, and Castle World storytellers.
Now, I can't wait to see what's next.

You know you have been building to long when you hear the birds chirping
outside your window,
the sunlight creeps through the window shade
then suddenly you realize in horror
I have to be at work in an hour.

Thank you Todd and Suz for furthering my addiction to plastic,

James,  Lugnet Member #930