 General / 33793
Re: I miss the old LUGNET...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 19:50:26 GMT

I don't know what's old Lugnet or what's new. I've been a member for some
two years now, and I think the situation is simple:
1] There are two important Lego sites on the Internet. Lego.com and
Lugnet.com
2] The internet is changing, the world is changing, Lego is changing.
Without going into wether all those changes are for better or for worse it
seems obvious that as a result Lugnet is changing.
3] With the number of postings and the number of groups it's hard to read
everything, let alone reply to everything that somewhat interests you.

And to comment on some of the other points mentioned: I think CLSOTW is
already migrating to site of the month. Sometimes I wish less people would
reply to messages. Before the confirm-mails it was easier to post, but abuse
was easier too. See point 2 above, the world and the Internet are
changing...
I too wonder whatever happened to Auczilla....

Duq

Benjamin Medinets <bmedinets@excite.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, John P. Henderson writes:
In lugnet.general, Nick Crocco writes:
Yes, I miss the old LUGNET.
<some snippage>

Hi Nick,

I am relatively new to LUGNET.  I used to post to rtl, maybe about five • to
seven years ago, but then kinda fell out of the loop (internet-wise).  I
signed onto LUGNET this past spring (2001), but didn't really get • involved
in the news and posts until more recently.  ...So I don't have the
perspective you might have regarding what you call "the old LUGNET".

In fact, I'm not even certain how it is that Todd is "gone" as you
indicate.  I recall chatting with him back in the rtl days, and through
Auczilla (whatever happened to that?).  But I didn't quite realize he • wasn't
involved anymore.  I hope he still is, as I always sensed he is one of • the
coolest members of this community (one of many though!  :)  )

Anywho, I do agree that it can be nice when people reply to a post, even
with a brief, "That was cool" or "I agree".  However, some readers also
prefer to avoid such small talk, since it increases bandwith and often
offers little new information.  Although I understand that POV, I'd say I
lean towards you in enjoying any post, even just a silly one-liner • response.
At the least, it can let a person know their post was read and not • ignored.
At the most, it can offer a good laugh and make us remember that the • others
here are humans willing to keep communication going.

There can be so many threads, in so many sub-groups.  It can be hard for
one reader to catch every post.  That's probably why many only view the • "Top
Stories".  In that sense, I like how LUGNET is currently set up.  If I • only
have a few minutes online, I can try to be entertained without searching • too
far.  ...But I certainly see your point.  I have submitted posts that • have
received little or no reply.  But what can you do?

Maybe we could ask for more, or do more.  And maybe if enough people • post
as you have, that could indicate time for a little change.  But I am just
happy that AFsOL have a community like this to be a part of.  Kudos to • those
who work to keep it going!

Cheers,
-Hendo

I don't want to talk for anybody else, nor do I want to add too much
commentary on a situation.  However, I can understand the situation.  To
expect a return of the old Lugnet is largely impossible, since Todd has
decided to take a more "passive role" in Lugnet.
I think Suze and other individuals are trying to keep the site as a world
class site for AFOL's and other stakeholders to enjoy.
I want to thank those, including Suze and others for the great job of
continuing to maintain a top quality site.
I just wish that the Cool site of the week was updated more, and the world
map could be overhauled to reflect the newer groups with their webpages.

Benjamin Medinets