 General / 32786
Re: Mattel and LEGO as part of the McDonald's promotion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.promo
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 06:05:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Trobaugh writes:

I noticed that McDonald's will giving away Barbie along with the BIONICLE
next week and was kind of caught off guard, I really hadn't thought of the
BIONICLE line as just a "boy toy". Hmmmm, I guess I can see it. Just strange
to have a Mattel / LEGO promotion, I figured at least they'd offer another
LEGO product for the people who didn't like the BIONICLE figures.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/countries/usa/whatsnew/pressrelease/2001/09042001/index.html

NAH! It's even worse than that...the Bionicle sets are paired with the
...*shudder*...Diva Starz. Ew. Have you ever walked past the shelf display
for these little bug-eyed things? It yells at me every time I scoot down the
doll aisle at the local Wal*Mart headin' for the LEGO.

I can "kinda'" see where they are coming from though...Bionicle would
definately be considered "boy-centric", and, for some gawdawful reason, Diva
Starz WERE a big hit last Christmas...so McDonald's is just teaming two hot
properties in one promotion.

OTOH, they ARE suspending their usual Fisher-Price toddler toys in favor of
Duplo sets for the duration of this promo...something they haven't done in
recent years, IIRC. So THAT'S at least some good news...

Still...it would have been neat to see some Paradisia/Belville type sets to
offset the Bionicle. It's just a shame that LEGO finally fell into the
boy/girl trap anyway...personally, I never thought it would happen...

What does surprise me at this point though, is that we haven't heard about
anything along the lines of a LEGO Harry Potter promo...now THAT would sell
some Happy Meals...

Matt

FUT lugnet.promo