 General / 32063
Re: Should we be worried about shop@home?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 15:39:33 GMT

So much for that old e-commerce dream of cutting out the middleman and • lowering prices.
We should have known it was always going to be more a case of cut out the • middleman and make more profit.

I think you may be overlooking the important point that Lego may notbe
trying to "cut out" anyone, but rather offer a place where buyers can get
access to their full line.

I'd bet good money that Lego still makes most of it's profits through
retail, which is much higer volume than SAH ever could be.  Pricing on SAH
is set high so as not to upset TLCs relationships with the big retailers.

If you are a retailer, and people can get a product you sell direct from the
manufacturer for 24% less, then what is the incentive for you to carry the
product?

Just my opinion, but I think SAH sets the pricing at retail in order to
protect the retail channel.

Troy