 General / 31454
Re: Should we be worried about shop@home?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:27:22 GMT

"richard marchetti" <blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote in message news:GFpADC.LvE@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
So much for that old e-commerce dream of cutting out the middleman and >lowering prices. We should have known it was • always going to be more a case >of cut out the middleman and make more profit.

Some of your comments about online deals are just about the dotcom bubble.

There's nothing dot com bubble about Lego making a bigger percentage without by selling direct, and passing none of that
on to us.
What concerns me is that far from passing any saving on, they charge higher prices than retail stores (perhaps not all),
whilst at the same time, the retail stores are drying up (in UK anyway), leaving Lego with a retail monopoly free to
charge what they like. Admittedly they always set the prices anyway - but with the retail markup there was always room
for discounts, competition, and sale time.

Perhaps I will be reassured when I see Lego have a 'sale'

some great deals even in the last few months so I am not so sure about that
last point anyway...others routinely mention the new rounds of clearance
prices at WalMart and such. >
Not in the UK, they dont even stock the Lego in the first place, so there's little sale bargains to be had.
And what about the increasing number of exclusives? How are walmart going to put that in the sale?

But, at the same time, I don't have a problem
paying TLC full retail if that full retail price is fair and they are
actually giving us what we want.
Hard to judge a fair price.
Given the usually mark up of toys, it is hard to understand why they should be top price when they sell them direct.
(not wanting to compete with existing retailers of course - but then the retailers dont stock most of the stuff anyway)

Take for example the re-release of the Guarded Inn: is it REALLY overpriced?
If I recall correctly, its price is down there around $0.10 USD an element.
I am willing to pay that price for such a thing.  More stuff priced like
that would suit me fine.

And me. But current bulk bricks are hardly a fair price - not when you compare some of the buckets of old - which are
now disappearing - replaced by higher price bulk packs.

Then again, I would still like to see REAL bulk offerings at REAL bulk
prices (i.e. Larry P's 1000 Cypress trees for $200 sounds good to me). So on
that end of things, you have my sympathy.

Absolutely.
Why they simply can't implement a bulk bulk discount as they did on opening, is beyond me.

regards
lawrence