 General / 31451
31450  |  31452
Subject:
Should we be worried about shop@home?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:07:51 GMT

Right now most folks seem pleased with shop@home.
- Availability
- Increasing range of products
- Exclusives
- Even old warehouse stock.

All good stuff.

However, I can also observe (especially here in UK)
- decreasing stocks in bricks and mortar stores
- fewer end of line bargains in stores
- fewer on-line stores selling lego
- NO end of line bargains on shop@home (in fact they seem to be trying to call them 'hard to find' and selling them
still at retail)
- Absolute top whack prices on shop@home - no discounts
- exclusive sets not packaged for retail - just a brown cardboard box in some cases - so they can minimise inventory and
do just in time fulfillment

What worries me is
- no retail competition
- more controlled supply - lego dont overstock - they control supply better. So no end of line bargains
- higher prices

So much for that old e-commerce dream of cutting out the middleman and lowering prices.
We should have known it was always going to be more a case of cut out the middleman and make more profit.

regards
lawrence