 General / 31723
Report: LEGO rocket building in Adelaide
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.loc.au.sa.ade, lugnet.general, lugnet.build.sculpture
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:01:53 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

On Monday 9th of July the family & myself went to the SA Museum to take part
in the LEGO rocket building (I took some pictures & will get them online as
soon as possible).
Here are the details:

* It was a large (3-4 metres high) pre-designed space shuttle, launch pad &
fuel tanks. The building plans consisted of three 1/6th scale models & big
baseplates with painted on guides (black studs).

* There were two LEGO Australia employees (from Sydney) overseeing
construction. I chatted with one of them for a while & found out some info:
She had never heard of LUGNET or AFOL's. The bricks came from Denmark. She
said it wast the 6th model she had built(previously: R2-D2, Darth
Maul/Vader?, some others I forgot). All the LEGO was going to be dismantled
by temps at the end of the holidays & taken back to Sydney. IMO the museum
would have paid LEGO to come & build the shuttle & leave it there for 2 weeks.

* Elements used: 2x4 Bricks in Black, White, Red, Yellow, Blue & Grey. Also
some 2x8 bricks in Black & White (for the tricky bit at the front of the
shuttle). All bricks were stored in big crates, you scooped them up in small
buckets. At least some of the bricks were 'used'. I asked if they gave away
free samples & was told "only if I want to put some in my pockets". I
couldn't really bring myself to steal any, though all those Grey 2x4's were
tempting.

* It was built in seperate 'modules' that were all put together. They hadn't
finished by the time we went home. I might go back later in the week to take
some pics of the finished model.

* I am tired & have probably forgot some other details. Let me know if you
have any questions.

Carl

In lugnet.loc.au, Carl Watson writes:
I found this on the SA Museum's website.
http://www.samuseum.sa.gov.au/holiday_progs.htm

July 7 - 9
Lego Spaceship Construction
Many hands make light work. Join the construction team to build a huge Lego
spaceship. No bookings. Limited places, but construction crew changed every
hour.
Free activity

Starts tommorow, I plan on taking the kids on one of the days.
I'm curious as to what will be being built, & what type of pieces they will
have available.

Carl