 General / 29684
Re: Lego pluralism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 05:21:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Low writes:

Almost -- by my understanding Lego is a substance like air or water that you
don't normally count. So it doesn't even _have_ a regular plural form. The
excellent explanation I referenced uses "oxygen" as an example.* You don't
normally count the molecules -- it's just oxygen. In chemistry though you'll
often refer to "oxygen molecules", particularly when you consider their
individual properties. So while you might say "One fish is swimming, three
fish are frying, most fish are aquatic" or "This LEGO brick is green, these
LEGO bricks are green, most LEGO is plastic" you'd never say "This [single
piece of] LEGO is green, these LEGO are green, most LEGO are plastic".

Anyway, I hope this helps. Does anyone disagree with my analysis? And does
anyone else find it interesting that it's Americans who seem to overlook the
naturally collective nature of LEGO?

I agree this is how the word LEGO *should* be used, but, as I witnessed on the
weekend, most non-AFOLs also seem to use it incorrectly. As in "Pass me that
flat blue LEGO", "how come you're hogging all the orange LEGOs?", etc, etc. So
its not just the Amurkans who do it...

ROSCO