 General / 29054
Re: Combining 2x4 bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:23:03 GMT

Very interesting! One of my co-workers is a math geek - the next time I see
him I'll ask him about this problem. I think it falls under the category of
math known as combinational topology.

I did my honours year in Combinatorics which is the area of mathematics
dealing with combining things (essentially). I've considered looking at
the the number of ways of combining any number of bricks (like 10 for
example) but the problem is in fact extremely difficult (and VERY
computer intensive).

I've always wanted to get the original paper which dealt with six bricks
as I imagine it would have been an absolute b*@tard to compute. If I
could find that I could look at the methods used to calculate the
combinations.

It would be a neat (although difficult) idea to write a program like the
one for SETI that will work on multiple computers to calculate the
number of combinations for 7, 8... bricks.

If anyone out there know a fair bit about ?Distributed Programming? (not
sure if that's the proper term) perhaps it would be possible to work out
a way to do this.

There's my $50au (about $2US irony intended) worth

Tim Gould