 General / 29017
Re: Combining 2x4 bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 19:24:18 GMT

Very interesting! One of my co-workers is a math geek - the next time I see
him I'll ask him about this problem. I think it falls under the category of
math known as combinational topology.

Brickshelf's thumbnail script produced an interesting effect: your original
pics are appropriately encoded as short-palette gifs but the script turns
them into jpgs. The jpg version is much larger than the original. An
undesirable side-effect, to be sure.

In lugnet.general, Robert Graff writes:
Hi everybody!

I was idly flipping through my copy of The Ultimate LEGO book the other day
and I noticed a little bit of trivia on page 8. It says that two 2x4 bricks can
be combined in 24 ways, three bricks: 1060 ways, and six bricks: 102,981,500
ways. ( assuming both bricks are the same color ).

snip