 General / 2877
Re: Giving away Lego...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 19:35:27 GMT

I know what you mean about giving away LEGO,  about 10 years ago I bought a
THATCHER PERKINS locomotive model kit in Germany (about $25).  The store had 2 of
them, and I purchased only one.  When I got home I built it, and my 10 year old
nephew said that he would like one.  I told him that when I went back to Germany
the following year, I would get him the other one, if they still had it.  Well,
guess what, they did.  By this time I knew it was going to be valuable one day, but
I gave it to him anyway (for Christmas at age 12).  But I warned him that if he
ever damaged it or the box or the brochure or the stickers, I wasn't going to give
him anything of value any more.  Well, now he's 20, and he still has it sitting on
a shelf in his bedroom, with everything still intact (including the box &
instructions).   I still feel good that I gave him something that appreciates in
value, and is something that he still enjoys to look at.

Gary Istok

Laura Gjovaag wrote:

My husband and I were entertaining some friends at our house the other day.
One of the couples had a young girl, maybe 6 or 7, who was getting increasingly
bored as the night went on.  Being a good hostess, I invited the poor child up
into our "fun room" to play with my Legos.  To my immense shock, she said she
had never played with them before.

Well!  This was a situation I had to remedy!  We poured out my collection,
plugged in my train, and to the amusement of our other guests (who could hear
the racket quite clearly, I was told later), we played with Lego.  She was
particularly pleased with my firing cannons, and sent a "cannonball" clear
across the room (about 15 feet).  While sending my train around the track, she
discovered the little bicyclist that I use to represent myself.  She admired
the fact that I had a Lego minifig of myself, and mentioned that she rode
horses...

I have a lot of horses.  I was into Castle for a time, and never gave away or
sold the horses.  So I pulled them out and let her pick out her very own horse.
Then, in a small voice, she asked if she could pick one out for her sister,
too.  Then we dredged up saddles for the two horses, then minifigs.  Both the
minifigs I gave her were unique to my collection, but it was worth it when she
showed them to her parents and I explained that she'd gotten one for her sister
as well.

Giving away pieces of Lego is difficult (especially unique ones!), but I made a
kid happy.  I've done this before when we had a guest, but that time the child
was MUCH younger and already familiar with Lego (and I gave him pieces I
already had a lot of).  I'm a nut, but a happy nut.