 General / 28496
Re: LEGO Company announces poor performance in year 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 17:55:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
Forbes on March 2:
http://www.forbes.com/2001/03/02/0302faceslego.html
Forbes on March 1:
http://www.forbes.com/2001/03/01/0301facescan.html

Well, one of those articles claims that there are 52 bricks for everyone on
the planet (I suppose that this assumes that none or destroyed, thrown away,
etc). I further suppose that this is the fact upon which another claim is
based -- the claim that market saturation is problem for TLC.

You can't build much with 52 bricks, and not much more with 104. I can't
build even one wall of Castle Blacktron with 208 bricks.  Frankly it would
take approx. 800 1x4 black bricks to build but one wall of Castle Blacktron.
Using this logic, and assuming all of the world's bricks were of the 1x4
black variety, only 1/16th of the world's population could possibly have the
means to build a wall of approx. 18"x18".

Stepping back from this insane equation, let's assert that most of the
world's bricks are neither 1x4 nor black.  I am beginning to think that
something like only 1 in a 1000 persons would have either the means or the
inclination to build such a wall.  And to that person, with both the means
and the inclination to build it, market saturation such that he would stop
buying black 1x4s is still far into the future.

So yeah, 52 bricks is a lot if you don't want to build anything to begin
with.  It ain't nothin' if you *DO* wish to build something.

Gee, isn't TLC the company that sells 1200 pc. buckets? I would think that
saturation wouldn't really mean anything until everyone on earth had at
least one bucket's worth of bricks.

Frankly, I have no idea how saturation could be calculated with acurracy as
regards the prospect of future sales.  But just because sales are flat from
one year to the next doesn't mean people don't want more bricks -- it may
just mean they didn't care for the sets available in those years. They
bought sparingly.

When the kids get tired of the novelty of Bionickkkles, they will look
around for something substantive to play with.  Maybe TLC could cut costs by
rereleasing old set designs.  I understand the retro toys are all the rage
in the toy industry right now.  Maybe we could get classic space, castle,
and pirates back again.  Everything from the packaging to the element counts
to the booklet instructions has already been paid for labor-wise, all TLC
would have to do is manufacture and sell the sets again!

The 10 year olds of today have never seen classic space -- to them it *IS* new!

-- Hop-Frog