 General / 28470
Re: LEGO Company announces poor performance in year 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 01:55:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, Benjamin Medinets writes:
715 was a small set with easier things to make and larger pieces
725 was the house building set that went well with town with smaller more
specialized pieces
735 was the last of the great basic building sets for older children with
some more advance models you could build....
I guess this is my example for that....
and I just want to add that I love 725 because it makes a nice house for
any town, not to mention the flowers, the horse, the lamps, and the
paradisa-type windows!!

Wow, that's cool to hear someone mention those LEGO Basic sets. I miss those.
The 3 you mention were the age 7+ sets in green boxes.
  see http://guide.lugnet.com/set/725_1
There were also 5+ (blue)
  see http://guide.lugnet.com/set/525
and 3+ (orange).
  see http://guide.lugnet.com/set/325_1

I remember 715 as being a great set for parts (side from all its rubber wheels).
Seemed to be the "vehicles" set.

725 is one of my TOP fav sets of all time! It's difficult to explain all of what
I like about it. it just seems 'right'. I want to hug it. It has some wonderful
pieces to get your mind thinking and plenty of simple parts for imaginative
building. Cute characters for role play... And one of the best ever idea/
instruction books. It's a set I have multiple copies of. I keep one of them all
original for playing with as intended.

Those sets were all pretty gender-ambiguous. 715 was maybe a "boy set" and I
think 725 was a "girl set," but at least it wasn't pink and didn't say
"Specially for Her" on the side of it, as other sets then did.

I see what you guys mean now about the lower level of complexity concept vs
juniorization in a theme. Even putting FreeStyle next to 725 makes me feel sad.
And I don't think I'm just being nostalgic.

:-/

-Suz