 General / 28340
Re: Is there a real time LEGO chat?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 06:25:14 GMT

"Paul Hartzog" <panarchy23@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:G9JzHx.DwB@lugnet.com...
todd,
sounds like you are doing your best which is all anyone can ask.

i was just hoping to make the point that despite tim's insistence
that lugnet 'belongs' to you and suzanne, it really belongs to
the community and those of us who support its existence.

i'd be happy to provide some pipes and servers if i feel like
i'm able to get more involved over time.  if we want it to stay
available and continue to evolve and add features then we HAVE
to be willing to support it w/ werk and money.

but also, lugnet has to be willing to open up to that support.
as busy as you sound, it only reinforces my point that lugnet
needs more hands.

i've seen this kind of thing happen elsewhere, wherein a really
great site stalls because it evolves beyond the management
capacity of its original creators, and then loses its edge
because it doesn't continue to expand its features.

Paul -
What you say makes sense :-)  I'm sure Todd & Suz would have to plan out
carefully any 3rd party involvement in LUGNET before allowing it to happen, but
it does seem to me that the queue of projects to be done on LUGNET is
overwhelming for two people, and there's also only so much a person can do
before getting burned out.  It would be great to have other hands working on
LUGNET, but going back to my first point _they_ own it, so therefore (second
point) they'd have to plan it carefully.

I'd say, no matter how much I use LUGNET, even with the fact that I've paid
money to be a member, I still don't have ownership in it.

-Tim