 Administrative / General / 8937
Re: Is there a real time LEGO chat?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 04:37:09 GMT

todd,
sounds like you are doing your best which is all anyone can ask.

i was just hoping to make the point that despite tim's insistence
that lugnet 'belongs' to you and suzanne, it really belongs to
the community and those of us who support its existence.

i'd be happy to provide some pipes and servers if i feel like
i'm able to get more involved over time.  if we want it to stay
available and continue to evolve and add features then we HAVE
to be willing to support it w/ werk and money.

but also, lugnet has to be willing to open up to that support.
as busy as you sound, it only reinforces my point that lugnet
needs more hands.

i've seen this kind of thing happen elsewhere, wherein a really
great site stalls because it evolves beyond the management
capacity of its original creators, and then loses its edge
because it doesn't continue to expand its features.

n e way,
all this is completely IMHO,
anyone else's thoughts?

thx much
-paul

In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:
I'm not as good at communication as I'd like to be, especially in the past
four months (returning to having a day job), so there's always room for
improvement.  The main reason I bought a laptop recently is so I can stay
more connected, and the second reason is so I can take my miscellaneous
LUGNET work (daily and long-term) wherever I go (lunch, coffee shop, bus,
train, etc.).  For example, I'm composing this reply as I travel on Boston's
green line trolly from Boston University on my way home.  That gives me a
good 30-45 minutes to stay in tune with what's going on during my morning
and evening commute -- very little "dead time," especially since it's a
subnotebook with super battery life.

The biggest thing limiting my email communication right now (and going back
farther than I'd like to admit) is having too many email accounts.  I've got
one at auczilla.com, one at fibblesnork.com, one here at javanet.com (my
local ISP for home connectivity), one at work, three at lugnet.com, and my
old mail is currently scattered across three computers (I made the mistake
of not using a simple flat-text-file email package two years ago and haven't
sat down and converted it yet).  Right now for personal and LUGNET email I'm
using Netscape for Linux on one box and Netscape for Windows on another box.
Using either is painful.  I use Pine at work and, being 100% keyboard based,
I find that it totally rules for what I need it to do (be very fast).  Pine
is also what I use when I log in at lugnet.com and check my mail there, but
the problem there (why mail often gets lost) is that it gets hundreds of
spam and mailer-daemon bounce messages per day and filtering isn't perfect.

The other day, I downloaded PC Pine for my laptop, but I'm having problems
authenticating to my SMTP server at the moment.  As soon as Matthew Miller
releases the next version of BU Linux, I'll be putting that on my laptop and
then I'll be in heaven.  (I've had success in the past getting Pine to work
with multiple inboxes and multiple SMTP servers under Linux.)

So, to make a long story short, my plan for the next couple of months (which
I'm about a third of the way into) is to gradually fold in all of my email
accounts together and have them wind up at a single common location where
I'll be able to see everything without having to go pick stuff up manually,
which is error prone.

But beyond that, even if I see a message, sometimes I just don't have time
to respond to something in the depth that it deserves, and it gets set aside
until I figure I have time to do so, or have thought about it enough to do
so.  Or sometimes I'll go back and acknowledge that I received it, and other
times I'll forget and it piles up.

Well, sorry for rambling...there's no simple answer.  I'm trying.  And with
the wedding approaching, I'll be getting extra hard to get the attention of.

--Todd