 General / 2793
Re: TLG investigation 1st answers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 22:12:04 GMT

[This followup was posted to lugnet.general and a copy was sent to the cited
author.]

Hello Jeroen!
Many of the things that I would desire/like to see from TLG
have been stated by many in the community, and far more
eloquently than I could ever hope to achieve.

Having read and digested most of the posts in the many sub-
threads your original post has spawned, can come to *one*
conclusion:

TLG *must* undertake a massive survey of its customer base.(1)
The means to do so is at hand with the imminent release of
the Star Wars sets. The inclusion of a user-feedback form with
these sets would provide a cheap method of determining what
its customers feel about every aspect of TLG and its products.
The phenomenal sales this theme will realise ensures that
a large section of its existing customer base will be reached.
Such a form should also be included in other sets from other
themes, and be postage paid, to encourage participation. The
other alternative would be to use a website-based form. The
internet is increasingly the means for determining product
desirability by the consumer. (Evidence, though not available
by me to quote, suggests web-enabled consumers are increasingly
more likely to look at a website than to call a toll-free
number for information. The home page could lead to a consumer
survey form.)
It is a tool which can be used to determine what its customer
base is, what that base desires/wishes to see in the future.

Questions that have to be asked:
1. Age of the purchaser
2. Is the purchase for use by the purchaser, or someone else
3. Annual Lego expenditure
  a. Purchasing habits, retail, sale-only, mixture?
4. Purpose of purchase, e.g. for parts, like the set, etc.
  a. For the set: the original or alternate ideas
  b. If for the parts, what parts, etc.?
   1. What was not liked about the set design?
  c. Collectability?
5. Opinions of that set, and a few others, referring to
the enclosed catalogue for examples
6. How long has the intended recipient of the product been
a fan of Lego
7. If the recipient is a long-time user of TLG products, what
were/are their favourite themes/sets/pieces?
8. The service catalogue/spare parts:
  a. Does it meet the needs of the user?
  b. Is the variety adequate?
  c. Are the prices "acceptable?"
9. Bulk parts purchasing
  a. Is it desired?
  b. What parts/colours would be desired (perhaps examples provided)
  c. Market bearability. By which I mean, with the provided parts
     examples, what the consumer would be willing to pay, and
     what sized-lots would said consumer be willing to buy?
10. Insert appropriate question here.........

(1) Provided that the information isn't sold off to
mass-marketing groups, junk-mailers, etc.!!

richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net               remove nospam dot
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
Includes scans of the Dacta section of the Commotions cat!!!!
A UK supplier of Dacta.          Prices don't include VAT!!!!
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888
For the best Lego news, visit:    http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model?       http://www.kl.net/scans/