 General / 2791
Re: TLG investigation 1st answers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 22:11:53 GMT

[This followup was posted to lugnet.general and a copy was sent to the cited
author.]
Hi everybody,

Hello!
Introductions and my story first.....(apologies in advance, too, as
I tend to have a very disjointed writing style...)

I, too, am an AFOL. My first love is Technic. Having found,
purchased and built the 8299 Yellow Submarine, became hooked all
over again. Looking through the catalogue and all of the great sets
in there, had purchased many more Technic sets. Within a year, I had
exhausted the supplies of many shops, and had purchased one, sometimes
4 (yes, 4, if it were on sale) of all of the sets that I had liked
from the Technic line. Having purchased probably everything from the
1997 and 1996 lines, found myself disappointed with most of the '98
line, and lamenting the '99 line. The only redeeming factor of most of
the recent Technic line is Mindstorms.

- Acknowledgement of the AFOL-community by the Lego group
- Rereleases of old sets
- Bulk piece ordering and/or better service packs
- Better set designs by Lego

To begin with the last:
Lego develops for kids, not for adults. Kids have developed as well through
the years. Old sets simply don't sell.
Points 1 and 4 are related.
All in all, I have probably blown GBP1500 on Technic Lego in the
space of 18 months. And, I am an adult, buying for myself. This is
where TLG should realise the potential market of the AFOL. I am
not the only one to spend this kind of money on a "toy." The average
annual spend of adults on Lugnet alone, purchasing for themselves,
is probably around USD1000. (1) Lugnet is of course a small
sample of the general population, as not everyone has Internet
access, and few of those that have, are aware of newsgroups.

The diversity of occupations of those here, prove that the AFOL
community is not just comprised of geeks and computer nerds. ( :o) I
am one myself, I must confess). With out any observable market
feedback, how can TLG seriously discount the effect our market sector
may have? Many products, some comparatively cheaper than TLG's, have
user-feedback forms, but Lego sets almost never do!(1 exception, 8299)
Put a bunch of post-paid survey forms to find out who buys what, for
whom, and why, in the sets! Adults would probably comprise a higher
market share than TLG realises! They would probably
also find that set sales are hurt by the declining designs that
have appeared in recent years, both of Technic and System. Despite
higher-than-the-rest-of-the-EU prices in the UK, I have purchased
many sets at full retail price. Not so much with newer sets. I
am increasingly holding out for the rare sales. There were many
older sets that I thought were worth the full retail price, but
there are many of the newer ones which I don't think are worth
purchasing until they are at least 50% off! (And even then I
think twice.....) If an adult fan of Lego doesn't like the set,
what makes TLG think that they will buy it for their children?
Better designed sets, and sets designed with a higher age in
mind, would probably *increase* sales, especially if other
demographics are targeted in advertising. One thing that must
be remembered: When a set is given to a child, the child is
rarely left alone to get on with it. Frequently, the adult
assists and participates with the child.
Also, why not more Technic universal sets?? A good variety
of different pieces, instructions for more than one or 2
models.

Parts packs/bulk pieces/spares, etc.
Though most of the parts requests are for all parts, Technic
suffers as well. The supplementary items available in the service
packs that come with sets are dire, and expensive. Dacta has
far greater variety, and some are cheaper! Technic is a line
that could seriously benefit from the bucket-style sets that
are available for system. A bucket filled with Technic beams
and plates, and a good supply of connector pegs and other
useful pieces is a dreadful ommission. I would so love to
purchase a bucket of 400 technic beams! Or a box of technic
plates and beams! TLG once offered bulk purchasing, what made
them stop?

I have probably been far too disjointed to make much sense.
To summarise:
TLG should undertake a major survey of its customers in order
to determine what the market likes/dislikes/wants! Who and
what the market is, and of what it is comprised.
Retail sales is not a sufficient barometer of the market!
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net               remove nospam dot
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
Includes scans of the Dacta section of the Commotions cat!!!!
A UK supplier of Dacta.          Prices don't include VAT!!!!
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888
For the best Lego news, visit:    http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model?       http://www.kl.net/scans/