 General / 2928
Re: TLG investigation 1st answers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 01:52:09 GMT

Richard Dee writes:
All in all, I have probably blown GBP1500 on Technic Lego in the
space of 18 months. And, I am an adult, buying for myself. This is
where TLG should realise the potential market of the AFOL. I am
not the only one to spend this kind of money on a "toy." The average
annual spend of adults on Lugnet alone, purchasing for themselves,
is probably around USD1000. (1) Lugnet is of course a small
sample of the general population, as not everyone has Internet
access, and few of those that have, are aware of newsgroups.

From 1986 until 1996 I bought, or had bought for me one copy of each technic
set available in shops. Occasionally I would also obtain other 'interesting'
sets, so I would put my annual spending in the 500-1000 pounds range, and I am
still in education!
Recently I have discovered a cheap source of 2nd hand Lego, and whilst spending
just as much as before, have obtained considerably more Lego the profits of
which have now been going elsewhere. Current thinking is that I shall restrict
future spending to 2nd hand, or new interesting sets, and no longer shall I aim
to be Technic complete. This cannot be good news for TLG - especially if there
are others thinking along the same lines.

Put a bunch of post-paid survey forms to find out who buys what, for
whom, and why, in the sets! Adults would probably comprise a higher
market share than TLG realises! They would probably
also find that set sales are hurt by the declining designs that
have appeared in recent years, both of Technic and System.

Agreed, most definately. I have only ever seen two TLG survey forms, one in
8299, the other being part of the recent Kelloggs promotion. Such forms would
give a much better indication of who buys what, for whom and why than ANY other
form of market research. The storekeeper doesnt usually know if the parent is
buying for themselves, their kids, relatives or other AFOL's.

Parts packs/bulk pieces/spares, etc.

Anyone have 100 black 2x16 plates they could send me for spare
parts prices - NOT Auczilla final prices?

I have probably been far too disjointed to make much sense.

I bet I made less sense, but then I'm not even sure what point(s)
I was trying to make.

To summarise:
TLG should undertake a major survey of its customers in order
to determine what the market likes/dislikes/wants! Who and
what the market is, and of what it is comprised.
Retail sales is not a sufficient barometer of the market!

Oh, that was the one - sort out a proper survey, even lugnet is too
narrow a segment of the market for our opinions to count for much.