 General / 26778
Re: Fanciful LEGO train speculation (the German answer..)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 19:44:01 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
No, not DCC.
No, no new geometry.
No, there will be no large wheels for steam trains. In fact, scrap the wheels
all together. Wheels are so 20th century!

Latest (maybe to read ironic) spculation abaout coming Lego trains as posted
on www.1000steine.de/forum/ (free translated by me):

Certainly there will be battle-engines! The "Evil-Engines" and the
"Alpha-Trains".

The "Evil-Engines" want to overtake the world leadership, and in their waggons
there are deadly mecha-arms which can be pulled out for fiery attacks!

The Alpha Trains try to avoid this as one can imagine and thus they have
Laser-weapons and eloctro-magnetic-shockwaves to electriefy the track.

Mayby there is some additionally "Speed-Slammer-High-Speed-Fight&Crush-ICE"???
Seems to be possible....

If nobody took notice of it so far: Lego was a very creative building and
construction toy in the past, but there have been NO WEAPONS till the end of
the 70ies and I once read the rumour that there were no green Lego® bricks,
because nobody should be able to build military vehicles.

In the 2001 catalogue there are only mechas, monsters, killing machines and
deadly + brutal racers. If I want to see such stuff I watch TV news or trash
action series. I fear Lego® looses it's good reputation and even more market
volume if they deny to offer at least both: classic bricks and new stuff. (only
exception in my eyes are sculptures)

(But I think this leads to far out of train discussion and has been mentioned
more than once before.)

Ben
Ben, you've struck a chord with me. When I was a child, playing with LEGO
(the late 1970's) I never did connect violence with LEGO. Now when I hear
young kids playing with the stuff, interest is quickly lost if they can't
add guns or missiles to their creations. This also may be outside the scope
of trains, but the world is getting more violent all the time. Wouldn't it
make sense for LEGO to 'keep up with the Jones'. -Harvey